Online Casino Facts: 10 Unknown Insights from 2023

Explore the evolution of online gambling and uncover intriguing online casino facts, from male player dominance to massive jackpots!
online casino facts

Diving into the world of online casinos opens up a treasure trove of interesting online casino facts. Primarily dominated by male players, online casinos have a fascinating history and an equally intriguing present.

Demographics of Online Gamblers

Interestingly, around 80% of online gamblers are men, most of whom are over 30 years old. This is a positive trend as younger individuals are more susceptible to developing gambling addictions. Live casino games also tend to be the preference of male players.

Contrary to popular belief, online gambling isn’t just for the older generation. The average age of online gamblers falls between 18 and 39 years old, which is younger than the general population’s average age of 37. Additionally, online gamblers typically have a decent income, with a median household income of around $75,000 per year.

Device Preferences

Today’s gamblers are tech-savvy, with approximately 85% playing from their computers and laptops. The remaining 15% use their mobile phones or tablets to enjoy their favorite games.

The Evolution of Slot Machines

The term “one-armed bandit” was once used to refer to traditional slot machines with a lever on the side. Modern slot machines, however, can be played with just the push of a button. Online slots have evolved to become more entertaining, often featuring themes from popular movies, bands, and video games.

The Birth of Online Gambling

While online casinos are what typically come to mind when thinking of online gambling, the first form of online gambling was actually an online lottery. In 1994, InterCasino launched the world’s first online casino and later introduced the first online lottery, marking a revolution in the gambling industry.

Game Preferences

Online casinos offer a variety of games, with studies showing that men tend to prefer skill-based games, while women lean towards luck-based ones. Men often choose table games like blackjack, while women opt for slot machines or bingo. However, these preferences are not set in stone, and there are exceptions.

Roulette: The Devil’s Game

Roulette is sometimes called the Devil’s game because if you add up all the numbers on the wheel, the total is 666, also known as “the number of the beast.” Despite this superstition, roulette remains popular due to its potential for big wins.

Blackjack’s Popularity

Blackjack is the most popular table game at online casinos. Its simple nature, combination of skill and luck, and relatively low house edge make it a favorite among players.

Fast-Paced Online Slots

However, online slots are the fastest games, with rounds lasting only a few seconds and no prior gambling knowledge required.

Advantages of Online Casinos

Online casinos offer hundreds or even thousands of games without constraints. They also provide bigger bonuses and promotions with lower wagering requirements. From welcome bonuses to regular promotions, online casinos strive to keep players engaged and rewarded.

Record-Breaking Wins

Jackpot games in online casinos have seen some impressive wins, with jackpots reaching eight figures. The largest recorded win to date was $23.6 million on Microgaming’s Absolootly Mad Mega Moolah game.

Accessibility of Online Casinos

One of the advantages of online casinos is their accessibility. They never close, allowing players to enjoy their favorite games anytime, anywhere, as long as they have an internet connection.


In conclusion, these online casino facts highlight how online casinos have revolutionized the gambling industry. They offer a wide range of games, cater to different preferences, and provide convenient access. With the online gambling market projected to grow significantly, online casinos are here to stay.